Drawing public attention to flyrock is a public service not ‘fund-raising terror’

CRC flyrock staging
CRC flyrock staging

The Concerned Residents Coalition performed a public service by erecting ‘flyrock danger zone’ signs on Highway 7 on Monday of last week.

Greg Sweetnam, vice president of James Dick Construction Ltd. refused to admit the potential risk and accused us of ‘scaring the public’.

CRC meanwhile, referenced internationally accepted formulas designed to calculate flyrock exclusion zones.

Greg Sweetnam also said “You just can’t keep the CRC happy”. Well he’s right – We’re not happy about the proposed Hidden Quarry!

The reality is the risks posed by the proposed Hidden Quarry are scary!

  • Flyrock is one risk. The probability is low yet the consequences can be catastrophic.
  • The drinking water Rockwood residents receive from Municipal Well #4 could be compromised by blasting leading to millions in cost to G.E.T. taxpayers to create a new well.
  • Wetlands and streams could be permanently altered or disappear completely.
  • Endangered species like the little brown bat could have their critical habitat destroyed.
  • Highway and downtown streets in Rockwood and Acton will be subject to another 48 heavy trucks an hour.

    Flyrock Danager Zone
    Click image and make a donation to cover cost of sign rentals

Last weekend members of CRC fanned out to locations in Rockwood and Acton. We gave leaflets describing the risks of the Hidden Quarry to more than 1000 people… more.

The Wellington Advertiser – Quarry opponents proclaim ‘future flyrock danger zone’ on Highway 7

by Phil Gravelle

ROCKWOOD – Drivers on Highway 7 east of Rockwood could be hit by flying boulders if the “hidden quarry” is allowed to proceed, according to the Concerned Residents Coalition (CRC).

Making a point - Bill Hill, a mining consultant and supporter of the Concerned Residents Coalition, displays a re-enactment of a flyrock accident the group says could happen along Highway 7, east of Rockwood, if blasting is allowed at the nearby proposed “hidden quarry.” CRC signs warn drivers of future flyrock danger. Photos by Phil Gravelle
Making a point – Bill Hill, a mining consultant and supporter of the Concerned Residents Coalition, displays a re-enactment of a flyrock accident the group says could happen along Highway 7, east of Rockwood, if blasting is allowed at the nearby proposed “hidden quarry.” CRC signs warn drivers of future flyrock danger. Photos by Phil Gravelle

The group set up signs on March 18 warning of a “future flyrock danger zone” and called on Ontario to enact a 500-metre blasting exclusion zone to protect residents and drivers. It’s the latest tactic in an ongoing struggle with pit proponent James Dick Construction Ltd. (JDCL).

Company vice president Greg Sweetnam strongly denies the CRC’s claim and accuses the group of “fundraising by terror”.

“We’d be out of business if we had flyrock coming out of that quarry,” said Sweetnam. “All of the blasts are designed so that we do not have flyrock.”

To dramatize their point, CRC members put a car on display at a home across the road, just 75 metres from the proposed quarry, staged with a limestone boulder through the windshield.

“A tragic event like this can be prevented if John Yakabuski, minister of natural resources and forestry, decrees a flyrock exclusion zone of at least 500 metres on the proposed hidden quarry, and all aggregate sites in Ontario,” said Harry Wilson, a member of the CRC board.

“Flyrock fragments propelled at up

to 600 kilometres per hour by explosive detonations have caused property damage, personal injury and deaths around the globe… more.

SouthWesternOntario.ca – CRC calls on province to address flyrock

by Alexandra Heck, Erin Advocate

The Concerned Residents' Coalition held a press conference in front of a home across the road from the Hidden Quarry where residents have concerns about flying rock from blasting at the mine. - Alexandra Heck/Torstar
The Concerned Residents’ Coalition held a press conference in front of a home across the road from the Hidden Quarry where residents have concerns about flying rock from blasting at the mine. – Alexandra Heck/Torstar

A local activist group is calling on the province to establish minimum setbacks for mine blasting from homes near quarries.

Standing in front of a home just 75 metres away from the Hidden Quarry, near Rockwood, members of the Concerned Residents Coalition demonstrated what the possible effects can be of hazardous flying rock.
“We implore you to decry a minimum 500-metre exclusion zone,” said Harry Wilson, board member of the coalition. He explained that flyrock from blasting sites causes nearby 1,000 deaths annually around the globe, causing damage to roads, houses and vehicles… more.